This summer, Callendar House is hosting an exciting exhibition Gladiators: a cemetery of secrets on loan from the renowned Jorvick Centre in York, and we want to hear from you!
Gladiators: a cemetery of secrets showcases skeletal remains of 6 men whom were decapitated and buried in a cemetery alongside other Roman-age material in York. Recent research has uncovered more about who these men were, where they came from, how they died and evidence suggests that they were Gladiators active in Northern Britain.
Time Commitment: Must be able to commit to one 3.5 hour shift every week throughout the length of the exhibition at Callendar House (18 May to 6 October). The day of volunteering is flexible and we are happy to work with you availability. There will also be 2 days of mandatory training prior to the opening of the exhibition.
Closing date: Midnight on 20 March 2019.
We are inviting individuals to share their passion for history and/or the arts and join us as Gallery Volunteers for this exciting opportunity volunteering at a World Heritage Site. Gallery Volunteers will help us engage our visitors with this special exhibition of the suspected Gladiators, which will be shown for the first time in Scotland at Callendar House. Volunteers will meet and greet visitors and provide informal tours or information about the displays. All volunteers will be trained accordingly and will truly add that extra spark to this exciting new exhibition on from 19th May to 6th October!
What’s in it for you?
• Opportunity to share your passion for history and meet like-minded people
• Gain knowledge about Roman history and archaeology and their impact on the UK
• Contributing to the support of your local community cultural/museum services
• Skills development opportunities in teamwork, confidence building, communication, etc.
• Work experience in a museum/visitor attraction/customer service environment.
• The possibility of continued development opportunities for those interested in continuing their volunteering within the Trust’s cultural services
• Interaction with visitors to the temporary exhibitions spaces
• Provide and share information about the exhibition, Callendar House, and upcoming events/exhibitions
• Encourage visitors of all ages to use the handling objects and interactives on offer in the exhibition space
• Supervise the collections on display
• Supervise visitor entry to restricted exhibition spaces
Must be able to commit to one 3.5 hour shift every week throughout the length of the exhibition at Callendar House (18 May to 6 October). The day of volunteering is flexible and we are happy to work with you availability. There will also be 2 days of mandatory training prior to the opening of the exhibition.
Training will be provided to all volunteers to develop knowledge of the exhibition, the operations of an exhibition, and standard practice for engaging with visitors.
For further information and guidance on how to apply, please contact email@example.com
While we take every opportunity to ensure the details for Volunteer Opportunity at Gladiators: A Cemetery of Secrets Exhibition are accurate, we always advise that you contact the event organiser before setting out for the event to avoid disapointment.
Looking to reach new customers? We offer a variety of advertising options with prices starting from just £30 per month!